One of the speakers at TAP!2013 just had their app chosen as App of the Week by Adobe. The app is called World Ark Magazine and is designed to benefit Heifer International, whose mission is to end hunger and poverty while caring for the Earth. Heifer International has provided livestock and environmentally sound agricultural training to improve the lives of those who struggle daily for reliable sources of food and income.
The free app was built by Bates Creative using Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. It will be available on iPads and Android-powered tablets. It lets users, will allow users interact with the stories, images and videos from around the world produced by Heifer International. Heifer International is the first development nonprofit to create such a digital publication.
“World Ark serves as a window into our work here at Heifer International and this interactive tablet edition will bring our supporters along with us to the field to see how their support changes lives every day,” said Heifer International President and CEO Pierre Ferrari.
The first issue contains:
- A welcome video by Heifer’s President and CEO Pierre Ferrari;
- Video of women in Bangladesh celebrating during a Pass on the Gift ceremony from photographer Geoff Oliver Bugbee as well as a video glimpse of how the Arkansas Chuggabugs traveled around the world to raise money for Heifer;
- A spectacular digital catalog featuring favorite alternative gift items including the gifts of women’s empowerment, sending a girl to school and cookstoves to improve health and the environment;
- Interactive infographics including how women build clay cookstoves in Malawi;
- An extra review of poverty- and hunger-related courses you can take for free on your tablet from iTunesU;
- The latest news from the field on an interactive world map;
- Slideshows featuring stunning photography.